Welcome to the Utah Council of The Blind
The Utah Council of the Blind, also known as UCB, is a membership organization made up primarily of blind and visually impaired individuals who seek to improve the lives of people with various degrees of vision loss. We are a state affiliate of the American Council of the Blind (ACB), which gives us a national voice, yet allows us to be independent in creating our own goals, programs, along with keeping and using donations within the State of Utah. The UCB is recognized by the IRS as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation, which allows donations to our organization to be tax deductible. Our members pay a small annual fee, but we primarily depend on grants, private donations, and small fundraising events throughout the year to provide the funding for our many programs and activities.
Our organization uses over 90% of all income solely for our programs, with less than 10% spent on administrative costs. With that in mind, in order to keep our overhead costs down, all of our board members and our executive director work on a volunteer basis. We also have a large need for volunteers to complete various tasks, from office work, driving, reading mail, helping with getting large mailings ready to send, and soliciting donations to assist with setting-up, running, and taking down of activities.
Ways to give to the Utah Council of the Blind
If you shop at amazon.com, just use the www.smile.amazon.com web address, where you have the opportunity to select a charity to support with your purchases. Amazon then contributes a small percentage of most of your purchase to the charity of your choice. The easiest way to set the UCB as your charity of choice is as follows:
- Go to www.smile.amazon.com and login as you normally would and activate the "Your Account" link
- Arrow down or use a links list to find "Change Your Charity"
- Go down to the form field (just before the search button) and type in "Utah Council of the Blind"
- Tab to the "Search" button and press the spacebar
- In the Results you will see "Utah Council of the Blind", tab to the "Select" button immediately following it and press the spacebar.
- A pop-up window opens telling you that your purchases will now support "Utah Council of the Blind"
- Whenever you shop at Amazon, use the smile.amazon.com, and it will remember your selected charity.
First, you must have a Smith's rewards card. If you do not have this card, ask for one at a checkout or service desk when you are at Smith's. For those of you who use your rewards cards to earn gasoline discounts, be aware that the Community Rewards do not affect those discounts at all. You will still be able to accumulate fuel points as before.
Second, you must have registered the card online. To do this, go to www.smithsfoodanddrug.com, follow the link to register and fill out the form with your email address, a password you create, your home store, etc.
To assign the UCB as your charitable organization:
- Sign in to your Smith's account
- Open the "My Account" page if it does not take you there automatically
- Look for "Community Rewards" near the end of the page, find "Edit" below it, and activate that
- On the search page that opens, below "Find your Organization" you can type either our number, which is "32989", or "Utah Council of the Blind"
- Tab to "Search" and activate that
- Go down to the results, find the checkbox in front of "Utah Council of the Blind", and press the spacebar
- Tab to "Enroll" and activate that
- You will be taken back to your "My Account" page where you can see that you have set "Utah Council of the Blind" as your selected organization.
Would you like to Volunteer?
If you want to be a volunteer, please contact us at: (801) 299-0670.
You can also download and print the Volunteer form but you must contact us before you can volunteer. All volunteers must be screened and approved before they can participate.